This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
With so many food blogs on the internet, why choose our recipes? Here’s a bit more about us and what makes acouplecooks.com a trusted source for your next home-cooking adventure.
Photograph by Shelly Westerhausen Worcel
About A Couple Cooks
A Couple Cooks is a food blog dedicated to from-scratch recipes and the joy of cooking together. We were founded in 2010 by Sonja and Alex Overhiser, a husband and wife team of recipe developers and cookbook authors. Our mission is to make home cooking and healthy eating easy and enjoyable for everyone, and to champion the power of two in the kitchen.
Our website, acouplecooks.com, is one of the most popular food blogs in America, with over 8 million pageviews every month. Sonja and Alex have also written two cookbooks, Pretty Simple Cooking (2018) and A Couple Cooks: Happily Ever After (2024).
A Couple Cooks has quickly become a trusted source for recipes. Our recipes have been featured in numerous publications, including The Washington Post, The TODAY Show, and more. We were also named Best Food Blog in 2019 by IACP, the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
We believe that food should be both nutritious and delicious. That’s why all of our recipes are made with whole, unprocessed ingredients and are packed with flavor. We also offer a variety of dietary options, including vegetarian, gluten-free, pescatarian, chicken, and vegan recipes.
Why Trust Us?
We are a team of passionate food bloggers committed to providing our readers with the best possible experience. As two professional recipe developers with a background in technical writing, we’re known for our attention to detail and focus on a user-friendly experience. We use mostly whole, unprocessed ingredients in our recipes, so you can feel good about feeding them to your family and friends.
We are constantly updating and expanding our library of recipes so that you can always find something new to try. We respond to reader feedback and update recipes to make sure they work in every kitchen.
A Couple Cooks is a trusted source for recipes for a number of reasons:
- Our recipes are developed by experts. Sonja and Alex are professional recipe developers with over a decade of experience in food writing and over 15 years in the technical writing industry. This experience has given us a strong foundation in clear and concise communication and user experience, which is evident in our recipes and cookbooks. We also write freelance recipes for The Washington Post, including the Plant Powered recipe series, back to school lunch recipes, and holiday cookies.
- Our recipes are well-tested and reliable. We test our recipes multiple times before publishing them, to make sure that they work perfectly. We also provide detailed instructions and tips to help readers achieve the best results.
- Our recipes are trusted by readers and industry professionals alike. Our website is a popular resource for both home cooks and professional chefs. The recipes have been featured in major publications such as The Washington Post and The TODAY Show and we were honored as “Best Food Blog” by the International Association of Culinary Professionals. We have also worked with brands to create recipes such as ALDI, Fresh Thyme, Meijer, Kroger, Bob’s Red Mill, Stonyfield, and more.
A Couple Cooks is also a trusted resource in the food and recipe development industry because of our strong social media presence and active engagement with our community. We have over 100,000 followers on Instagram, and we regularly share recipes, cooking tips, and behind-the-scenes content.
How We Can Help You
Whether you’re new to home cooking or a seasoned chef, A Couple Cooks has something for everyone. We offer a wide variety of recipes, from easy weeknight meals to artisan pizzas to craft cocktails. We also have a variety of articles on cooking tips, kitchen substitutions, knife skills, meal plans, the Mediterranean diet, plant-based living, and more.
We hope you will join us on our journey to make healthy eating easy and enjoyable for everyone. Sign up for our newsletter to receive new recipes and articles delivered straight to your inbox.
What Readers Love
What makes A Couple Cooks stand out to readers is our focus on simple, healthy, and flavorful recipes. Our recipes are also well-written and easy to follow, with beautiful photos and helpful tips and tricks. Specifically, our readers have provided feedback that they love that:
- The recipes are easy to make. We understand that people are busy, so we focus on creating recipes that can be made in a reasonable amount of time, even with minimal cooking experience.
- The recipes are made healthy whole food ingredients (except when they’re not!). We’re passionate about healthy eating. Whenever possible, we use whole, unprocessed ingredients focus on creating recipes that are balanced and nutritious. At the same time, we don’t focus on the word healthy, which is subjective and often used in diet culture to promote mindsets based on guilt and shame. Instead, we believe in balance in everything and there’s always room for a treat, so we offer dessert recipes, baked goods, and more.
- The recipes are flavorful. We are constantly experimenting with new flavors and ingredients, to create recipes that are both unique and delicious. We believe food should be well-seasoned, and use a variety of spices and herbs to add flavor to our dishes.
- The recipes are well-written and easy to follow. We take care to explain each step of our recipes in detail. We also include helpful tips and tricks to make the cooking process easier and more enjoyable. We write everything with our reader in mind and pride ourselves in user-friendly instructions.
- The photos are beautiful—and realistic. Alex is a talented photographer and his photos make each recipe visually appealing. At the same time, we don’t doctor our photos to represent something that is over-idealized. We make everything in our home kitchen and the photograph represents the real end product!
Readers have also told us they also appreciate the warm and inviting tone of A Couple Cooks. We are passionate about food and cooking, and we hope our enthusiasm is contagious! We make an effort to connect with their readers on a personal level, and they often share stories about our own lives in our blog posts, on Instagram, and in our newsletter.
What We Offer
Our recipes maximize flavor while minimizing effort. Whether you’re a beginner or seasoned home cook, we’ve got something for you! On this website, you’ll find recipes to fit all kinds of eaters and occasions:
- healthy dinners
- vegan recipes and vegetarian recipes
- gluten-free recipes
- Mediterranean diet recipes
- salmon recipes, shrimp recipes, and seafood recipes
- chicken recipes
- breakfast recipes and lunch recipes
- baked goods, bread recipes, pizza recipes, and muffin recipes
- appetizer recipes and snack recipes
- dessert recipes
- cocktail recipes
- smoothie recipes, coffee drinks, and tea recipes